Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Candidates Exchange Words

Candidates from the 21st District exchange words on free trade agreements. Stefanik recently said “I support free trade agreements, I think it’s important that we be able to sell our goods to a global marketplace.” Her counterpart, Woolf is more concerned about the district's own products before he looks to make America more open to trade. His exact remarks were “With respect to the Trans-Pacific Partnership, we have to be very careful about potential for dumping, low-cost producers such as New Zealand could potentially dump dairy products on our district, which would hurt one of our most important agricultural sectors.” 

Remember the other day when Funiciello came out as a "9/11 questioner." Well the Woolf campaign has responded to those remarks by saying “With respect to 9/11, I think it’s incredibly offensive that anybody would allege that our government had a hand in detonating those buildings. Just on a purely personal level, I find that extremely troubling and offensive. On a political level, I’m not sure why it would ever be wise to espouse that. If you did, I think it’s an incredibly outrageous allegation.” Funiciello answered not soon after with “Like any other issue that gets brought up, I didn’t bring up 9/11, I’m smart enough to know it’s really not one of the issues I really would have wanted to be the primary one I was called upon to discuss, but given that we’re on the eve of attacking sovereign nations again, in an occupation that is illegal and unconstitutional, I would say it’s kind of opportune as well. And the fact that Aaron Woolf would have a sitting congressman come in and call my position irresponsible, that’s a despicable thing and it proves how un-American that camp is.”

Candidates from the First Congressional District had a debate last night, Monday, September 22nd at 7pm. Tim Bishop's twitter page was quiet compared to Lee Zeldin's. Bishop started off the night with a "Excited 4 2night" and went on to say how Zeldin wants to look out for the wealthiest 1%. Zeldin on the other hand tweeted away with the hashtag "#TermLimitTim". Zeldin throughout the debate tweeted what was on his mind from Obamacare to national security. Another interesting anecdote is that Zeldin is coming up on 3,000 followers and Bishop has just over 1,000.

No comments:

Post a Comment